Monday, April 10, 2006

Multiple Personality Disorder

I know I suffer from it. I left a long reply over at Camera-Gal's blog about acting differently in different situations. Pink knows I do it, and when she's at work with me, she gets a little ticked off sometimes.

The one I think is the true me is when I'm at home as Dad, Husband, and brat (Pink'll vouch for that one). I'm playful, make witty comments, roll around on the floor with Little Blue and wrestle/shoot hoops, snuggle and watch the tube, and generally in happy mode. I do my best to be a role model, take care of my wife and son's needs, and occassionally bring out

The enforcer. This one comes out for usually less than 5 minutes or so, but if Little Blue starts to talk back excessively or shout, I'll set the voice on boom and bring out the "wrath of Dad" and put him in time out or offer up a spanking (which, amounts to a little more than a pat on the butt to get his attention). Pink gets it a little bit when she needs to order her an onionless burrito or when I really need her to help around the house. In general though, Pink needs very little enforcement (as I know she enforces me from time to time), though she does get picked on, which leads into...

The Brat. I like to tickle, I like to flirt. I like to walk up to my wife when we're out and talk to her like I'm not her husband, "So, I've seen you around, you come here ofen? Who's that loser guy your with? Wanna come home with a real man?" I think what grates more on Pink nerves is when I come in with the quick witted sarcastic remarks and don't let up for a while. At first it gets tongue and cheek, then she gives me the look that says, "your pushing it" and I back off. I don't pick on Little Blue too much, unless it's to tickle him crazy or bounce a balloon off of his head. EDH has probably been to the brunt of my brat tactics at work, but I tend to offer them up with an idea or vote of encouragement. Which, written in the table of contents reads...

The Trainer. I like what I do. I love who I help. I like getting in on the latest and greatest news in the library. I don't like the politics, I don't like the hoops and ladders it takes to get things done. I like teaching, and as fun as it doesn't sound, I like reading/researching and learning more. However, when I'm at work, and the Brat is removed from the equasion. You want to talk Connections, let's go. Learn, Enjoy, Explore, Create, and Connect. Bring it. You want the library-esque feel of an issue, ask me while I'm at work. I can remember most of the employee handbook (if not, where it's at and how to search it), detailed information of training needs and evaluation comments, and why we're not allowed to do certain things at the library. Give me a computer lab and let me stay and I'll pop out happy patrons and staff ready to play with the new knowledge. Keep me trapped at my desk or in meetings, and I tend to shut down and turn into...

The Voyuer. I'm a people watcher at heart, and while I love to teach classes, I recharge by spending "me" time and relaxing. I blog, I chat, I play video games sitting next to Pink while she plays video games. I read, I watch, I learn. When we're out in public, I have a good time making sure everyone else is having a good time. If they are, then I can relax and be my quiet simpleton self, if they're not, I usually find a way to drag them aside and talk. Must be the Psychologist in me, even if I had to suffer through some OSHA, Job Trade Analysis, Human Resources Management, Research Methods and Matrix Algebra to get here. If you see me out and I'm quietly sipping a beverage and enjoying the scenery, you know I'm good. If you wanna come up and ask me if I'm okay, it's all good, I'm used to it. Not too many people can just sit there and mentally entertain themselves with a little grin on their face. It's a little odd, I know...Pink has a hard time reading it sometime, but she's getting better.

All right, enough of me blabbin...gotta go grab a VIN and see if some of my MonteCarloSS.com buddies can do a CarFax for me. Daycare Provider thinks here sis bought a bad car, gonna see what the gearheads can dig up for me.

1 comment:

edh said...

Keyboard booger-leaver!. Hmph. :)